January 17th, 2014 at 7:30 am January 17th, 2014 at 7:30 am by Chriswaterguy
We've had a lot of news that we haven't trumpeted, so here's a partial rundown of 2013:
- We passed 50 million pageviews since Appropedia began in 2006.
- We're merging with Ekopedia! Ekopedia is a multi-lingual sister wiki, with a couple of thousand pages of sustainability information in French, and hundreds of pages in other languages. The merge is planned for coming weeks.
- We've been allocated a small grant to develop an input tool for projects from Engineers Without Borders Australia - which will also involve the UK and NZ organizations, for their "EWB Challenge" student projects. This will also enhance indexing, and it'll help us in improving the site overall. Work planned for approx Feb 2014.
- A recent and long overdue upgrade means we're now ready to take next steps in site development - including the Ekopedia & EWB work mentioned above.
- Michigan Technological University's Professor Joshua Pearce got a bunch of publicity for the Open-source metal 3-D printer. The Appropedia page describing it got almost 70,000 views in a short period. This is one of the many pages Joshua and his students have produced on Appropedia. (Great work, Joshua!)
- We have a book deal! We're putting together a collection of work on the theme of "Water" - drawing from Appropedia and soliciting original contributions from experts and those with significant experiences in water.
- Lonny presented at TEDxYouth, talking about "a better education" - all the projects he described are documented on Appropedia.
- University classes continue to be a major contributor, with a stream of new articles developed by students each semester on a wide range of sustainability and development topics.