A super-brief version of the article Knowledge sharing in practice, on the wiki:
- Encourage contributors, especially knowledgeable people.
- Use an open license – that’s a real open license, no Non-Commercial or No derivatives clauses).
- Use open standards and open formats. Do not use PDFs unless you also make it available in (say) HTML. And a wooden spoon to those sites that require specific software, often restricted to Windows and/or Mac. Tsk tsk.
- Use a wiki.
- Use an existing wiki where appropriate – they’ll be thrilled to have you.
- You need several highly focused people working on it daily, and you need to avoid re-inventing the wheel.
- Make it open edit.
Also on the wiki: